Opened in 1915 as the ScotstounShowgrounds to host the agricultural shows, the stadium is used to host athletic events along with RugbyUnion matches nowadays. The GlasgowCityCouncil owns and manages the arena. The ground underwent a huge renovation phase for two years and was re-opened in 2010 by PrincessRoyal. During this renovation phase, new facilities were added to the arena such as 100-meter sprint track and new office spaces. Besides that, resurfacing of a 400-metertrack to a rugby pitch has also been done. New synthetic pitches and rugbytraining pitches were also added to the arena along with strength and conditioning suite for athletes.
The stadium was the used as the training venue for the Commonwealth Games of 2014.
The arena hosted the Scotland Sevens (editions of Edinburgh Sevens) for three years from 2012 to 2015.
Professional Rugby Union team Glasgow Warriors has been playing their home matches at the arena since 2012 after switching from Firhill stadium.
The stadium has its own mascot named ScottieRoo who occasionally makes appearances at the stadium.