The stadium’s first name was Estadio de Puerto Sajonia as it was located in the Sajonia, the neighborhood in Asunción.
In 1924, when Uruguay won the Olympic gold medal in football, the Football Association of Paraguay named the stadium "Uruguay" in honor of South American nation. However, the name was reverted back to Estadio de Puerto Sajonia.
Estadio Defensores del Chaco is situated in Asunción, Paraguay. It is predominantly used for football events and had an initial capacity to hold more than 50,000 people. However, after years of remodelling and redesigning, it has now reduced to 38,000 people. It is one of the oldest stadiums in Paraguay, inaugurated in 1917. The significant renovations of the stadium took place in 2000 and 2015. Club Olimpia, Club Guaraní, Club Nacional and Paraguay national football team use the stadium as their home field.
During the Chaco War (1932 – 1935), the stadium was used as a munitions depot and a troop meeting arena. Post the war; it was renamed Estadio Defensores del Chaco (or Defenders of Chaco) to honor the triumphant soldiers.
Estadio Defensores Del Chaco is the national stadium which is not owned by any team.
In 1999, significant matches of Copa America were held here including the finals between Brazil and Uruguay. Brazil won the cup.
The stadium has been used for FIFA World Cup qualifiers and other friendly matches. Local tournaments such as Primera Division Paraguaya, Copa Sudamericana, and Copa Libertadores are also played on this ground.
Estadio Defensores Del Chaco is famous for hosting international football club tournament games such as Copa Libertadores and the Copa Sudamericana.
The stadium has also been used for organizing concerts of prominent music artists. Roxette, Paul McCartney, II Divo, RBD and many more have performed at the arena.