Team India had a spectacular win by 3-0 against South Africa in the second innings of the third Test in Ranchi. With a perfect score of 497/9 posted on the scoreboard, the Proteas bundled out for 133, outshining a new height of dominance for Kohli’s team.
With the entire maestro hits and runs, Rohit Sharma was named “Man of the match” as well as “Man of the series”.
Some of the Maiden Records
- Indian cricket team created a world record with their 11th straight home test series win. Ind vs SA test match is the team’s biggest win against South Africa in terms of total runs.
Photo Credits: PTI Photo
- Along with many records, Rohit Sharma (99.84) surpasses Don Bradman (98.22) for the highest Test average at home ground. Sharma’s match-winning double century (212) included twenty-eight 4's and six 6's. He holds a record to become only the 5th Indian opener after Vinoo Mankad, Budhi Kunderan, Sunil Gavaskar and Virender Sehwag to score more than 500 runs in a single test series. Now he is the only Indian who reached his 100 and 200 with a six in the same innings in tests. Another record held by this hard-hitting batsman included his name with Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag and Chris Gayle who scored centuries in both formats, ODI and Test cricket. Rohit also broke the world record for the maximum number of sixes hit in a Test series.
- On the 2nd day, Indian Pacer Umesh Yadav became the fastest player in Test history to score 30+ runs.
- Indian batsmen showed a spectacular win over their worthy opponent. In this series, they hit a total of 47 sixes which is a new record in a test series.
- In Visakhapatnam Test, Ravindra Jadeja clinched the record to become the fastest left-arm bowler who claimed 200 wickets in Test Cricket. Jadeja broke the world record of Sri Lankan player Rangana Herath taking the wicket of Elgar. Ravichandran Ashwin finished jointing with Muttiah Muralitharan, claiming the fastest 350 wickets in his 66th Test, in international Test cricket.
Photo Credits: Dun.can / Flickr / CC BY 2.0
- Ricky Ponting’s record of 19 test centuries is equalled by Virat Kohli in this match. Both the players have scored 19-19 centuries as captains in tests. He also added another star to his bulky cap as he surpassed the great Bradman by scoring more than 150 runs nine times in his international Test career. He also scored his best 254 not out and completed 7000 test runs. Kohli also surpassed Mohammad Azharuddin, the former Indian captain, to lead the team to the most number of series whitewashes in Tests (minimum three matches). Earlier Azharuddin led India to two series whitewashes under his leadership.
Well with all these records and the trophy in hand, hopefully, the Indian Cricket Team will outshine more like this in future matches.