The four-time Grand Slam winner said she took a little break from the game after withdrawing from the French Open as she struggles with depression and anxiety.
However, All England Club chief executive Sally Bolton on Wednesday said that, given the current situation, Osaka would participate in the championships, which begins on June 28th.
“We got in touch with her team; we didn’t talk to Naomi herself,” Bolton said. “At this point in time, Naomi is entered into the championships, and we have not received confirmation that she will not participate.”
Tournament director Jamie Baker said he told Osaka’s entourage that phone lines are always open to discuss any questions that may arise.
“I spoke to her team,” Baker said.
“It is very clear that we are here; we are completely open to any discussion when they want it. But, hopefully, it goes without saying that we want the best players to compete here no matter what.”
World No. 2 Osaka has been in the spotlight since withdrawing from the French Open.
The 23-year-old was fined $15,000 and threatened with disqualification for Roland Garros after she refused to comply with mandatory media obligations.
The organizers of the French Open said they treated her “with care and respect” after they were accused of being heavy-handed.
Osaka lost the third round of Wimbledon in 2017 and 2018 and was eliminated in the first round in 2019. Last year’s tournament was cancelled due to a pandemic.
Kindly log in to use this feature.