Legion Field is mainly an American football stadium, located in Birmingham, Alabama, United States. Though it was primarily built up for hosting American football, other outdoor events are also held here. The stadium was opened in 1927 and is named in honour of the American Legion, a U.S. organization of military veterans. The field has a capacity of 71,594 spectators. The construction work to build this state-of-the-art stadium commenced in 1926, designed by famous architect D.O. Whilldin. It has been renovated four times and expanded six times. The natural grass of the field was replaced by Poly turf in 1970 which later on substituted by Astroturf after five years.