The field on which the stadium has been constructed was formerly known as Papazın Çayırı means "Field of the Priest". It became the first football ground in Turkey where the league games (Istanbul Football League) were held consecutively.
In 1949, the Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium became the largest stadium in Turkey providing a total capacity for 25,000 spectators.
The Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium, officially known as the Ülker Stadium Fenerbahçe ŞükrüSaracoğluSportsComplex is a famous stadium that predominantly hosts football matches. The Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium was inaugurated in 1908 in Kadıköy, Istanbul, Turkey. The stadium underwent various renovations in between 1929 and 2006. Home to the Fenerbahçe S.K. (a Turkish football club), Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium has a seating capacity of 50,509. An estimated amount of 85 million dollars was spent on its construction. It houses 64 executive luxury suites. The stadium has four distinctive stands: Maraton, Fenerium, Migros and Telsim.
The 2009 UEFA (Union of European Football Associations) Cup final was the last final of the UEFA Cup football league that has been hosted by this stadium as it was changed to UEFA (Union of European Football Associations) Europa League.
On the 4th of October, 2006 after numerous inspections, Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) finalized the Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium as the host for the 2009 UEFA Cup Finale.
Şükrü Saracoğlu hosted their first football match in the year 1908.
The Fenerbahçe S.K. bought the stadium in 1929. Since then, they have been the owner and the operators of Şükrü Saracoğlu. This move also made the Fenerbahçe S.K. first football club in Turkey to own stadium, aided by the government of Şükrü Saracoğlu.