Before the racecourse was constructed, the area was a swampland, but that was the only suitable place for horse racing. To convert the land into a fine racecourse, the Hong Kong Government prohibited the cultivation of rice in the surrounding area.
Happy Valley Racecourse is a much-publicized racecourse, located in Happy Valley, Hong Kong. It is the central spot for tourist attraction in Hong Kong and one of the two racecourses for horse racing in the territory. The racecourse is surrounded by Morrison Hill Road and Wong Nai Chung Road and can accommodate up to 55,000 people, having thoroughbred course type. The Hong Kong Jockey Club owns the ground. It is one of the oldest racecourses in Hong Kong, opened in 1845 and was originally built to be used by the British people who resided there.
The races generally take place on Wednesday nights and are open to the public as well as the members of the club.
Happy Valley Racecourse is one amongst the two racecourses that are used by the Hong Kong Jockey Club for horse racing meets.
There is also a souvenir shop and a cinema in the museum.
The first race in the racecourse took place in December 1846, and over the years horse racing became popular amongst Chinese though this racecourse was originally built by the British Rulers.
The racecourse underwent a renovation in 1995, and today it is a world class horse racing facility.
There is a museum as well as an archive on the second floor of the seven storey building, situated in the racecourse.
The inner field is used for other sports, cultural and leisure facilities that are managed by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department.