It has accommodated a record attendance of 120,000 in the 1986 African Cup of Nations Final match between Egypt and Cameroon.
The stadium went through a major renovation in 2006 to meet the CAF standard stadiums. It was during this time that seats were being added to the stadium along with other modern facilities.
The Cairo International Stadium was opened in 1960. The stadium is also known as the ‘Stad El Qahira El Dawly’. It is an Olympic-standard stadium, employed for multi-purposes. It is the 69th largest stadium in the world with a capacity of 75,000. Before the stadium was made all-seating, the capacity of the stadium was equal to 100,000. It is the first Olympic-standard stadium in Cairo (located in the Nasr City, a suburb in the north-east of Cairo). It was inaugurated on July 23, 1960, by Egyptian President Gamal Abd El Nasser on the eighth anniversary of the Egyptian Revolution 1952. The stadium is located 10 km west of the Cairo International Airport.
The stadium has hosted Hossam Hassan’s famous header to secure Egypt’s place in the 1990 Italian World Cup.
It was the main stadium to host the 1991 All-Africa Games matches.
It has hosted the 2010 FIFA World Cup Qualification matches.
The Cairo International Stadium is the main stadium for the Egypt National Football team. All the important matches of the national team were held in this stadium.
The stadium has been selected to host the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations championship.
It has also hosted the 2006 Africa Cup of Nations matches. In the final of the tournament, Egypt won over Ivory Coast by 4-2 in the penalty shootouts after a 0-0 draw in the overtime.