During the World War II, the ground was requisitioned for military use from 1942 to 1945.
The 10th-largest stadium in the world, the largest in the Southern Hemisphere and hence in Australia- Melbourne Cricket Ground. Popularly known as the "MCG" or simply "The G", this ground has the tallest light towers and is part of the Melbourne Sports and Entertainment Precinct. Built in 1853, the stadium has played an important role in the development of international cricket. MCG is the venue that has hosted the first Test (1877) as well as ODI (1971) matches that were played between Australia and England. It is also regarded as the "the spiritual home of Australian rules football", being associated with the sport since 1859. The ground is owned by the Government of Victoria and operated by Melbourne Cricket Club. It has been the home ground of the Australia national cricket team (since 1877), Victorian Bushrangers (since 1851), Melbourne Stars (since 2011), Melbourne Football Club (since 1858), Richmond Football Club (1965) and many more teams.
The National Sports Museum is situated at MCG.
The stadium witnessed its first cricket match on 30th September 1854.
It has hosted three pool games, a quarterfinal and the final match of ICC Cricket World Cup 2015. Team Australia emerged as the winner defeating New Zealand by seven wickets in front of 93,013 spectators.
Besides Sir Don Bradman, Steve Smith is the only cricketer who has scored his 4th consecutive century at MCG.
The first Australian rules football match between Scotch College and Melbourne Grammar was played at this ground on 7th August 1858.
One of the most popular events hosted by the ground is the annual Boxing Day Test.
Before the stadium became fully seated, the record of highest attendance at the stadium was set in 1970, during the VFL Grand Final which was witnessed by 121,696 spectators.