In 1935, Walter Briggs, the owner thought of an expansion of Navin Field to a capacity of 36,000 by extending the upper deck to the foul poles and across right field. By 1938, the newly renamed Briggs Stadium was opened with the capacity of 53,000.
The stadium was nicknamed "The Corner" because of its location on Michigan Avenue and Trumbull Avenue.
The Tiger Stadium was a baseball park, located in Detroit, Michighan. It was formerly known as Navin Field and Briggs Stadium. The venue had served as the stamping ground for the "Detroit Tigers” Major League Baseball team from 1912-99 and the National Football League’s "Detroit Lions" from 1938-74. It was declared a historical Site in 1975. The Tiger stadium has also been listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. Many other sports events such as boxing and soccer have also been conducted on this ground. After the last Detroit Tigers game in September 1999, the stadium was vacated for renovation.
Lou Gehrig, the first baseman of New York Yankees, voluntarily retired himself on 2nd May 1939.
Babe Ruth hit his 700th home run of his career on 13th July 1934 at this Stadium.
Dwight Evans hit a home run on the first pitch of the Opening Day Game held on 7th April 1986.
The final game of Detroit Tigers was held on 27th September 1999 at the Tiger Stadium, where Detroit Tigers won over Kansas City Royals.
The MLB All-Star Games were hosted by the stadium in 1941, 1951 and 1971.