Initially, the site was planned to be built as a garden by the Edwin Lutyens, the architect of New Delhi which was overruled.
The original name of the stadium at the time of construction was Irwin Amphitheatre.
Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium, located in New Delhi, India, is a renowned field hockey stadium named in honour of one of the legendary player Major Dhyan Chand. It was completed in 1933 and inaugurated by Governor General Lord Willingdon. The area was a gift from the Maharaja of Bhavnagar for Delhi and was originally a multi-purpose arena. It hosts league, national and international field hockey events such as 2010 Men's Hockey World Cup, hockey matches of 1982 Asian Games, and 2010 Commonwealth Games. The stadium was formerly known as "National Stadium" before adding the name of former hockey wizard Major Dhyan Chand in 2002. It is the home ground of men's national field hockey team Delhi Wave Riders that plays in Hockey India League. This stadium was designed by Anthony S. DeMillo and is currently maintained by Sports Authority of India. It is often referred as “Temple of Indian Hockey” and consists of three pitches out of which two are competition pitches and the third is a warm-up pitch, made in an area of 37 acres. The stadium underwent a major reconstruction before the 2010 Hockey World Cup and 2010 Commonwealth Games at the cost of Rs. 262crores. The stadium is equipped with floodlights and electronic scoreboard.
It was the first venue unveiled for the Commonwealth Games of 2010.
In 1951, it was renamed as the National Stadium by the Government of India before the Asian Games of that year.
It was originally built to host the Asian Games in 1951.
In 2016, it hosted “Run for Rio” for 2016 Rio Olympics, flagged off by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi.